Sunday, December 09, 2007

best, MOST AMAZING COOKIE EVER


If you only make one cookie this year it has to be THIS ONE!!!!! I have been making these sugar cookies since I was about 15 or so, from a cookbook my mom got me. They are simply amazing. Everyone that eats them loves them and begs me to make them more.


Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter or magarine (I used the new smart balance/butter blend)
1 egg
3 tablespoons whipping cream (I substitute with milk if I don't have cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract (I have left this out before because I didn't have it, and that is still yummy)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, egg, whipping cream, vanilla and almond extract. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms. cover with plastic wrap and chill one to two hours, until firm.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. On floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. cut desired shapes onto dough. bake for 4-6 minutes and let cool. decorate with prepared frosting. let dry completely before storing.









Frosting
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup shortening (again, I just used 1 cup of the smart balance/butter blend for this)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

In large mixing bowl, combine butter, shortening and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add sugar one cup at a time beating at low speed until well blended. Add milk. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add food coloring if desired.

0 comments: