Saturday, February 19, 2011

A devotion worth getting

This is the message you have heard from the beginning: we should love one another. 1 John 3:11

For years I have wanted to start a study time with my husband but we just didn't know where to start. A couple of weeks ago I went onto Amazon and just started browsing through devotionals and reading reviews to see if I could find something that meets our needs. I am the kind of person that likes to start small and not get overwhelmed with over committing myself so I needed to find something that would only take about 5 minutes and I wanted it to be related to marriage. I was also looking for something that was for an entire year, not just a few weeks.

The Love Dare Day by Day devotional is exactly what I was looking for. It starts every day with a verse that is relatable to marriage and loving each other, has a short devotion tying in with the verse and ends with either a prayer or a challenge for the day. Yesterdays challenge was,

How will your mate be affected by living with you in the future? Will they become radiant or saddened? Confident or Angry? will you dare to create a loving environment for your spouse to grow in?

This study helps us connect each morning as a busy couple without being too overwhelming that we put it off. There are days when the challenge absolutely hits home. Day 6 was focused on our job description. We are called in our marriages to love our spouses! It's our primary responsibility. This hit home for both Jim and I because we are extremely busy, when I come home from work the evening is focused on getting dinner on the table (thank goodness for crock pots) spending time with the kids, bathtime, story time...aah! When it's all said and done we are exhausted and ready to fall asleep. Thank goodness we take that time in the morning to connect. It also shows that we love each other and we want to take the time to grow in God's word so that our marriage will grow as well. We know each day the devotion will be just enough to bring us together for the so it's hard to make excuses!

0 comments: