Sunday, February 27, 2011

slow-cooking sunday

Split Pea Soup!

Is there really anyway to make split pea soup look good in a picture? Jim has been requesting split pea soup for a couple of months, and my kids LOVE peas, but I've actually never made split pea for them before so I figured today was as good of a day as any to try. It's a perfect day for it because I've been sick all weekend, the kids are sniffly, and it is snowing really hard outside!

Ingredients:

2 cups split peas (sort and wash)
8 cups water
1-2 lbs ham bones or hocks
1 garlic clove (I never use just one garlic clove in a recipe...I probably used 3)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Directions:

Place all ingredients into your crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Take the meat off of the bone. While I had the meat out of the pot I put about 1/2 of the soup into the blender to make it extra creamy and then I put the rest of the meat back in and cooked it on low for a couple more hours.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend with your family!







1 comments: