Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I've been reading

I have to say, this book has opened my mind and filled me with hope! I am a pretty passionate person, and when I find something that really is life changing for me, I have to share it!

Grace Based Parenting, by Tim Kimmel compares our relationship with our children to the relationship we have with God. God gives us grace. He knows we are going to mess up and make mistakes, and when we do he helps us to get back on track. As parents we need to look at our children with those same loving eyes as the Father who sent his Son to die for us! Last night was a perfect opportunity for me to put some of the lessons I have learned into practice. Hayden had somehow accidentally gotten some water on Elliott. This prompted Elliott to fill his mouth up with water and spit it all over Hayden! Of course after a long day at work, and a splitting headache the screaming was almost more than I could handle. I stepped back and calmly talked to Elliott about a better solution. He burst into tears and said, "I did it on purpose..." He felt so bad! It was adorable, he gave his sister a big hug and I was able to show a little grace to my sweet little boy.

One of my favorite chapters in the book talked about having the grace to let your children be unique and different. It brought me back to my high school days where I was definitely on my own when it came to my style and I am pretty sure that I embarrassed my mom to know avail, but she knew my heart. She knew I loved the Lord! People judged me and thought all kinds of things about me without getting to know me. Even if your children embarrass you, as long as what they are doing is not an issue of sin, let them be who they are!

Another amazing idea he shares his to have a "What's Your Beef" night. Once a week let the kids pick the dinner, and let them talk to you about things you've been doing that bug them! The only rule is the ideas the kids bring up can't be issues of morals that your family holds. Once your children tell you what is on their mind, you are not allowed to try to persuade them or change their mind. You simply say you are sorry. This way you are teaching them that as parents you make mistakes too, and they can always come to you with their problems! Amazing.

I'm not giving away any more of this fantastic book. You must read it, and you must share it with others!

0 comments: