Friday, June 13, 2014

DIY: Homemade Sunscreen!


Today was a super fun day with one of my dear friends!  She came over with her carrot seed which has an SPF of 38!  (who knew!) and we had an awesome time melting oils, adding ingredients and making something fun!  I just want to say, this is not a budget friendly DIY.  It's super easy, and simple, which is all that I do, but it is not a way to save money.  It is a way to put sunscreen on your babies and children that does not have any chemicals in it!  YAY!


We started with 1/4 cup of coconut oil mixed with 20 drops of carrot seed oil.  The consistency was not  good, so I threw it in my kitchen aide and mixed it really really well.






Then I put the oils in this jar and just very slowly melted them along with melting the beezwax (which makes the sunscreen waterproof)








Finally I whipped the coconut oil mixture and the beezwax until they were combined and poured them into these cute little bottles!  Yes, it's a little greasy, but the beezwax really really helps with that!  I didn't mind it at all.  The smell...well, the beezwax helps with that, but it's not the smell that you have grown to love out of most sunscreens!  My friend actually suggested that we try adding orange or lime, next time and I love that idea!


0 comments: