Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Lemondrop Shortbread cookies



The last few months I've been on a journey with Young Living Essential Oils.  It has been so much fun and so rewarding!!!  I haven't gotten sick, taken any OTC meds, or anything for pain in 3 months.  I think this is pretty awesome considering that I work in the schools and I get coughed and sneezed on all day every day!  Today, specifically I took oils for energy and allergies!   So tonight is my first actual class and I am very excited!  I made these gluten free shortbread lemon cookies that I am going to serve and they are delicious!  Especially because I love lemon!!!!

Ingredients for cookies:

8 Tbsp Butter
6 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 c. Sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. coconut flour (if you want to make these classic, and not gluten free just use regular flour and omit the xanthum gum)
1 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
pinch of salt

Instructions for the cookies:

1.  In a bowl cream the butter oil, sugar and vanilla

2.  Add the flour, xanthum gum, baking powder and salt

3.  I rolled these into little 1 tsp balls and then pressed them down with my thumb.  They are very little, and cute  :)

4.  Bake @ 350 for 3-5 minutes.  Watch very closely,  you want them brown around the edges but not over done.

5.  Remove to wire rack to cool

Ingredients for the Filling:

1/3 c sugar
4 1/2 tsp cornstarch
3/4 c water
1 egg yolk beaten
1 tbsp
15-20 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oils.  (to taste--I love lemon so I used 20)

Directions for the Filling:

1.  In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in the water until it is smooth

2.  Over medium-high heat, cook and stir until thick and bubbly, then cook for 2 more minutes

3.  Remove from the heat.  Stir a small amount of the filling into the egg yolk, do this slowly so that the egg does not cook.  (that would not be yummy!)

4.  Return all of the mixture back into the saucepan, and, stirring constantly, bring to a gentle boil.  cook and stir this for 2 more minutes.

5.  Remove from the heat, gently stir in butter and the lemon essential oil.

6.  Spread a drop onto the top of each cookie, I sprinkled with unsweetened coconut!

Enjoy!!!!

Best stored in the refrigerator!

2 comments: